Saturday, August 31, 2013

Your Shoelace Is Untied

In my last post, I wrote about my desire to see the Duchess of Cambridge appear in public sans Prince George. Two weeks have passed since then (I really should not forget to put something onto my blog when Saturday rolls around), but the Duchess has complied. And not just once. Twice!


Here she is out shopping, looking prettier than someone should when they're buying groceries.


And here she is at the start of the Anglesey ultra-marathon with William, who is just having the best time with that bell. She's been wearing jeans all week, which is quite unlike her, but good in a way. Makes her seem more common. Like someday we could all be like good ol' Kate Cambridge.

Hmm. Maybe not.

Sometimes I wonder whether it's wrong of the press, and of the people who go on to read their articles, and of the multiple website that talk about her (mine included) to encroach upon Kate's privacy like so, but then I remember that she spent over £7000 on this dress that she wore only once, probably without batting an eyelid, and I just go back to looking at every picture of her that I can find.

~

There were two basic skills that I did not learn as a child and that I haven't completely grasped yet. One of them is telling the time on a clock that isn't digital. The other is tying shoelaces. And as a result of that, oftentimes my shoelaces are terribly tied, and come undone as I walk. Now, every morning for the last two months I have been walking the kilometer from the train station to my college campus, and on that walk my shoelaces invariably get untied. I don't ever stop to tie them, partially because I know they won't stay tied, but mostly because if I stopped, and bent down, I'd hold up the people behind me, and they'd all get irritated. And trust me, you do not want to further irritate people who have spent an hour on a crowded train on a Monday morning. No. So I end up just walking without tying my shoelaces, and to compromise for my lack of shoelace tying skills, I have learned to walk without tripping, so it doesn't bother me one bit. What does bother me is every person who I pass stopping me to tell me "Your shoelace is untied".

It's a good sentiment, I know, and I should probably be grateful that they tried to avert the possible event of my tripping and falling on my face, but for some reason, it really annoys me. I know that my shoelace is untied, random stranger, because I am not daft, and because the person who passed me not two seconds ago told me the same thing. But I can't say that to a person. That's incredibly rude. Also, time-consuming, which is my bigger concern. It's a lot quicker to just nod and walk on, shoelace still undone.

If this was a good story, it would have a moral like 'Strangers can be helpful too', or 'If you can't tie your shoelaces, you should probably go with Velcro.' But this isn't a good story, so there isn't a moral. Deal with it.

~

You know how at the end of a YouTube video, the person who made the video asks you to give it a thumb-up if you liked it? Well, I'm not going to do that about my blog, because I don't know if you can like a blog post, but I am going to ask you to go over to Order of Splendor, where I have voted for the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland and Poltimore Tiaras as the two ultimate diamond tiaras in the comments of the last post (here's a link), and if you agree with me or just like me, somehow, give that a thumb up. I write under the username 'N', but I also leave a link to my blog, so if you load all the comments and ctrl+f for 'blood' or 'sweat' you should find it (Searching for 'tiaras' would be absolutely redundant. Don't do that). And if you thumb it up, I promise I will leave you alone for an entire week.

No comments:

Post a Comment