Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Royal Christening : The Ceremony

Time to cover this week's christening!

Prince George's christening was my favourite of all the royal events that I have witnessed in my three years of royal watching, and that includes, to the best of my memory, multiple weddings (two Swedish, two Grand Ducal, one in Monaco, Zara Phillips' and that of George's parents), a few Jubilees, a couple of ascensions to the throne, and the christening of Princesses Estelle and Athena. Why was it my favourite? Because Prince George. I mean, just look at that baby.

Don't you just want to eat his face?
I tried to cram as much as I could about the christening into this one post, I really did, but it was just too much, which is why I'm going to have 4 segments dedicated solely to Prince George's christening, spread across two weeks. I think there is a subscribe button on my blog somewhere to the right, so click on that if you want to. Otherwise, posts on Sundays and Wednesdays.

Prince George Alexander Louis of Cambridge was christened on Thursday at St. James' Palace. It was a small ceremony, even by commoner standards, because the only people in attendance were the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's immediate family, Prince George's godparents and their spouses. What really surprised me was the complete lack of royal aunts, uncles and cousins. I understand them maybe not wanting to call the York sisters for another event which had hats in its dress code, but the Queen's children, at least, should have been invited. 


Prince George wore a replica of the original christening gown made for Queen Victoria's eldest daughter, Princess Victoria in 1841. It is NOT a dress. I repeat, NOT A DRESS. Either this gown or the original have been worn at past royal christenings in the UK, including that of George's father and grandfather.

The Archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Rev. Justin Welby (Who has a Twitter account. How modern) baptized the Prince, which was not something the public were allowed to see, but I was reading the tweets of someone watching a live stream the whole while - my Internet chose the most miserable time to fail - and the ceremony got over surprisingly quickly. It must hardly have been more than half an hour.

There are only two decent videos on YouTube, so you've already seen both of them already, but here's Prince George arriving for his christening (don't miss Kate's little curtsy at the end).


And here he is being carried to Clarence House for a reception and pictures afterwards.


Of course, the next day, the front page of every newspaper across the country was covered with pictures of Prince George and headlines calling him names that he couldn't read. Good names.

Everyone's favourite baby is getting big
The next three posts will cover the official photos, the godparents, and past royal christenings. Stick around for that.

Or don't.

N

No comments:

Post a Comment