Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Birthday Blasts

Today is my birthday.

When I was introduced to the Internet, I was in my Harry Potter phase, so the first thing I did was Google Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson. When I Googled her, I found out that her birthday was on the 15th of April, only one day before mine. For the past few years I bemoaned the fact that my birthday was on the sixteenth, and not on the fifteenth.
During the course of last year, I learnt that three royals; Margrethe II of Denmark, Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg, and his son Prince Sebastian of Luxembourg are all born on the 16th of April. That's two more royals than any other day of the year. So I figured that if I aspired to be royalty, this date was the best day to be born on.

When I woke up in the morning the first thing I saw all over the Internet were posts about the blasts at the Boston Marathon. Being from India, where violence on the grounds of religion and caste are a fairly common occurrence, I wasn't as shocked as most people seemed to be, but I still felt sorry for the victims.
Hours afterwards, the videos and tweets about the blasts kept coming, and they were starting to unsettle me. So, I turned off my news updates, and watched Alex Day read Twilight for a while. It was such fun that I watched him read the entire book. Once again, I found myself wondering if I should send Alex a copy of New Moon.

When bad things happen, like acts of terrorism or a World War, I find it nearly impossible to read about the disaster or look at pictures of it. And I don't. I choose to not focus on the things that have already happened, and instead on the fact that I'm still alive, and so are the people who matter to me, and on Anne Frank's belief that despite everything, people are really good at heart. And that gives me some solace.

Here's a picture of Pippa Middleton to cheer you up.


Have a safe week,
N

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday!

    The blast is a sad tragedy, but as Stephen Colbert put it, they attacked Boston, a city so tough that people during the American Revolution needed buckles to keep their hats on.

    Just so you know, pictures of Pippa Middleton don't cheer me up. Especially the front!

    Keep blogging, DFTBA.

    ReplyDelete