Saturday, April 20, 2013

Middleton, Catherine! HUFFLEPUFF!

September 1, 1993

Eleven year old Kate stood in a line along with the other first-years in the Great Hall. On either side of her, students sat at two long tables. Her knees shook, but taking heed of her mother's advice she kept her chin up and a smile on her face.
"Middleton, Catherine!"
Kate walked up to the front of the hall and sat on the stool. She could feel every eye in the room trained on her. The weather was nice, she thought. She wondered if it would hold up.
"HUFFLEPUFF!" the Hat shouted.
Kate looked at it, puzzled. She hadn't known hats could talk. Maybe once she went home, she could make one of her fascinators talk, too. Pippa would like that. Kate sat at the Hufflepuff table, introduced herself to everyone, and then politely pretended to be interested in the proceedings. Little did she know that she would continue to do that for the rest of her life.

~

Think about it. What really defines Kate? Is it her intelligence, thirst for knowledge and sharp wit? As if. Her bravery? Hardly. Then is it her cunning, ambition and resourcefulness? Well, it runs in her family, certainly, but I think what best defines Kate is the fact that she's pretty and nice to people. A Hufflepuff, if there ever was one.

If you're wondering what prompted this sudden sorting, it's the fact that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, along with Prince Harry, are visiting the Warner Brothers Studio in Leavesden this Friday. Next Friday, I'm visiting the Warner Brothers Studio in Leavesden. When I found out, I spent the whole day fuming. It wasn't because I have wanted to see the Duchess in real life ever since she became and Duchess and now I wasn't going to. It's because I came so close... and missed.

So, if you ever have to tell a story about terrible timing, tell of how I would have seen the Duchess (And a currently unmarried Prince Harry) in the flesh had I gone to London one week earlier. Or don't. I'm sure any story would be more interesting that.

I wish you every happiness for the next week. (No pictures today, I'm sorry.)
N

No comments:

Post a Comment