Monday, June 2, 2014

A Big Week For Royalty

I've been back from holiday for a while now, but when I was supposed to be writing this post yesterday, I was doing a lot of BuzzFeed quizzes instead. It was useful. I learnt that if ever a movie was made about my life, I (the main character) would be played by Emma Watson, and that if I lived in Panem, I would be a part of District 1, which is great, because then if I ever got selected in a reaping, I'd have a higher chance of survival, what with being a Career tribute and having sponsors all.

But I'm glad I didn't post yesterday, because I read some news today, which just made this the biggest week for European royalty that I have seen in a long time.


First things first: Prince Albert and Princess Charlene of Monaco are expecting their first child. Princess Charlene, of course, wore that wedding dress that I thought was the best of all ever worn by royal brides. Charlene is also one of my favourite women to marry into a royal family (My all time favourite is Kate Cambridge, obviously), because she seems like a strong woman, who stays passionate about her causes despite royal protocol's attempts to subdue her. I have no opinion about Prince Albert.

Everyone is making a big deal about how this baby is going to be a grandson for the late Princess Grace, but I think they're forgetting that Princess Grace already has a grandson. More than one, in fact, as well two great-grandsons. It must be weird for Albert to be having a child after his nephew and niece.

Prince Albert and Princess Charlene's baby will be first in line to the throne of Monaco, which is, in my opinion, great news for the principality. Because while the Casiraghis are great fun, I'm sure, they don't really seem like ruling material.

And most importantly, one more royal baby!

Speaking of royal children who are first in line to the throne, Infanta Leonor of Spain (not to be mistaken for Princess Leonore, who is from an entirely different country) is going to be the new Princess of Asturias, because her grandfather, King Juan Carlos, has abdicated. Juan Carlos' son, Prince Felipe, is expected to rule next, as Felipe VI. His wife, Princess Letizia, will be Queen Letizia. Obviously.

This is the third abdication in the past year. Previously, Queen Beatrix (the Netherlands) and King Albert (Belgium), abdicated in favour of their sons, who coincidentally, will both be succeeded by daughters, as will Felipe. The world, or the monarchy any way, is getting a lot more influenced by women, and if history has proven anything, it's that women are better rulers. I may be just a little biased.

Also, abdication seems to be the new sit-on-the-throne-even-though-you-aren't-mentally-or-physically-fit-to-rule. Could Queen Elizabeth be next?

[Probably not. She, of all monarchs, would never abdicate, because, as anyone who has seen The King's Speech knows, an abdication was what caused her father so much grief and an early death. Never.]

N

Images: Reuters

No comments:

Post a Comment