Tuesday, June 24, 2014

June

A lot of important happenings in the world of royalty, well, happened last week, and I missed them all because I am a lazy writer. So I am going to go over them really quickly in what will be a much delayed and very short blog post, accompanied by a load of tweets. Go!

1. Royal Baby
Princess Amalia, daughter of Prince Felix and Princess Claire of Luxembourg, was born on the 15th of June. Amalia is third in line of succession, because her uncle and aunt, Guillaume and Stephanie, do not have any children yet, and so is technically as close to her country's throne as Prince George, but for some reason doesn't even have a Wikipedia page yet. Even Princess Leonore of Sweden had a Wikipedia by the time she was a week old. But, like with Leonore, whenever I Google Princess Amalia, I just get pictures of Catharina-Amalia, the Princess of Orange. (With Leonore, it would be Infanta Leonor the NEW Princess of Asturias. New! I'm coming to that).
But little Amalia is ridiculously cute. Look.

Another ridiculously cute royal baby is...

2. GEORGE!
On Father's Day (again, the 15th of July) HRH George of Cambridge graced the world with his presence at the annual polo match played between Princes William and Harry for charity. No one expected him to be there, so on Sunday night, I was scrolling through my Twitter feed looking for pictures of Prince Harry in jodhpurs when I saw young George, making faces at the camera. I fell off my chair.
And he can walk now! I am content. (For the next few weeks, that is, until I start wishing for a birthday picture of George.)

3. Spanish Abdication

The biggest thing last week was when King Juan Carlos of Spain abdicated in favour of his son, who is now King Felipe VI. His wife is not Queen Letizia, and his daughter Infanta Leonor, is not the Princess of Asturias! She's only eight!
This is the third abdication in the last year. It was all very grand, and ceremonial, and maybe made up for Spain's early exit from the World Cup, but I've had more than my fill of abdications. (It's not as though they're as cute as royal babies. I can never get enough of royal babies.) What I am hoping for is a wedding. I haven't seen a royal wedding in a while. Prince Harry?

Spanish abdication. Not as good as the Belgian or the Dutch (But Leonor and Sofia are AWESOME!)

You can read the full coverage on Order of Splendor.

4. Happy Birthday Prince William

Prince William turned 32 on Saturday. Not as momentous as George's first birthday next month, and doesn't hold a candle next to an actual abdication, but a happy moment nevertheless. So many future Kings (and Kings outright) have not made it to the age of 32 in the past, and now William has.

Happy Birthday Your Highness!

~

Book review next week, unless someone dies or Prince Harry gets engaged.

N

UPDATE: I said it and it happened. Not Prince Harry, oh no, but Prince Carl Philip of Sweden just announced (June 27th) his engagement to long time girlfriend Sofia Hellqvist (Hellquest? Hellqvuist? I don't know). Royal wedding!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment