Saturday, October 5, 2013

I Have A Problem With Actresses

No royal has died/been born/gotten married this week. Pity.

Let's talk (Rather, let me type because I'm bored, and you read because evidently, you're bored as well) about actresses. Specifically, actresses who act in movie adaptation of books. Even more specifically, Shailene Woodley.

If you know who John Green is, you probably know that this best selling novel, The Fault in Our Stars, is being made into a movie, starring Ansel Elgort and, of course, Shailene Woodley. If you follow John Green on Twitter and Instagram like I do, you'll have a fair idea of what is going on on that set, based solely on the sheer number of pictures that John Green posts all the time. If you actually read his tweets/captions, you'll realise that John Green loves his female lead. But I don't. 

I don't like Shailene Woodley. This is a slightly controversial thing to say on the Internet, I know, but hardly anyone reads my blog anyway, and since I choose to remain anonymous, it doesn't matter. I don't like her as Hazel Grace, and I don't like her as Tris Prior. And I especially don't like the fact that she's playing both Hazel and Tris, and both times alongside Ansel, who plays her boyfriend in one and her brother in the other. Surely there are enough up and coming young actors that they don't need to keep using the same set every time, let alone in two such highly anticipated, crazy-fandom possessing movies that are releasing around the same time. It's terrible!

But this isn't the first time I've had a problem with an actress. List:

Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen


The first time I saw Jennifer Lawrence was two years ago, when she was nominated for an Oscar for her performance in Winter's Bone. I remember seeing her on the red carpet, and not really caring or remembering. It really was quite a forgettable appearance. I'm quite glad she didn't win that year, and won this year instead. This year was just all fabulousness.
Anyway, when she was cast as Katniss, I remember thinking things like "But she's really boring", "But she doesn't seem like the sort of person who'll do a good job" and "BUT SHE'S A BLONDE!"

I was wrong, on all fronts. Jennifer Lawrence is funny, and pretty, and a great actor, and she does the best interviews, and she won an Oscar, and she's only 23, and I love her.

Lily Collins as Clary Fray


Lily Collins has irked me ever since she wore a real tiara in Mirror Mirror, one that had once been worn by Princess Grace of Monaco, and pranced about in it for a whole song. It made me want to scream. As did her being cast as Clary.

But she was so perfect for the role. I cannot imagine anyone else playing the role now. Also, she really got into character by dating Jamie Campbell Bower IRL. 

Emma Watson as Hermione Granger


As if!

(Also, I was less than six years old when she was cast. I don't think I knew how to read, much less object to a casting decision.)

And that is what's going to happen with Shailene as well. I'm going to get massively upset for a little while, go and watch both the Divergent and the TFIOS movie, and come back saying that she is the greatest person ever to grace the silver screen. 

I've just realised that all these actresses are the same age, give or take a little. Don't know what that means, or whether it does mean anything at all. 


If you want a bit of a laugh at a royal's expense, here is a picture of the Duchess of Cambridge getting her shoe stuck in a grate.


N

No comments:

Post a Comment