Saturday, June 22, 2013

Royal Stuff

Today evening I'm going to find out whether I got into college or not. Because I don't want that to affect my post and because I need something to do other than bite my nails off, here's today's royal... stuff.

What a week it's been! There was Trooping the Colour, and Garter Day, and four of the five days of Ascot, and Prince William's birthday and for people like me, who practically worship British royalty... Wow!

Last Saturday was Trooping the Colour, the Queen's official birthday, and also the Duchess of Cambridge's final public appearance before the royal baby is born. Now, normally, I love Kate at Trooping the Colour; in fact, I think her debut appearance in 2011 is one of my favourite sightings of her yet. This year, unfortunately, I have only one thing to say :

Meh.
But its true. Unlike the Diana, who started dressing better as she grew older, and who had already separated from her husband by the time she was Kate's age, or the Sophie, who seems determined to give her nieces a run for their money, Kate just gets more boring with each passing day. She used to be so fun,



and slightly crazy,


and so smug. So very, very smug.


And now she's so boring. And not smug. 


And it can only go downhill from here. 

Moving on to the rest of the royal family; they didn't disappoint. I got a rare glimpse of Autumn Phillips at Ascot, riding with the Queen.


Autumn Phillips is actually one of my favourite minor royals, and I don't think we get to see her as often as we should. That's probably because she's looking after her daughters while her husband works, because the Phillipss don't get an allowance. I resent that. They deserve the money. They never commit faux pas's like Prince Harry does. Anyway, I'm glad she got to ride with the Queen. 

Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie were surprisingly sober on the hat front, but full marks for excitement!


Also for dressing like they've escaped from prison.


Also surprisingly, my absolute favourite this week was the Queen. I'm not the most pro-Queen Elizabeth person, but this week I found myself, on more than one occasion, hoping that she'd live to beat Queen Victoria's record for the longest reigning British monarch. I don't know why it was. It could have been her photo bombing BBC Radio 1. It could have been have been her face when her horse, Estimate, won and she got a little trophy. It could have been the fact that the Duke of Edinburgh wasn't there, and she had to make up for his racial slur and foot-in-mouth behaviour by being mildly amusing herself. Or it could have been the fact that I know she might not make it to her next official birthday. And everyone deserves to have a good last official birthday.


God Save The Queen.

N

No comments:

Post a Comment