Saturday, September 14, 2013

Dungbombs rule.

A quick round-up of royal news before I get to what this post is actually about.

This Thursday, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attended the Tusk Conservation Awards, but before doing that Prince William quit his job!


That's right. He resigned from the Armed Forces to become a full-time royal, which means that he will be undertaking more duties on behalf of Her Majesty The Queen, making more appearances at public events and becoming the patron of more charities. He'll also be able to spend more time looking after Prince George, so that Kate can go out to undertake duties on behalf of Her Majesty The Queen, and so on and so forth.
This will be interesting to watch, because Prince William has often been accused of being a 'lazy' royal, because he doesn't carry out as many engagements as, say, the Countess of Wessex, even though he's closer to the Crown and not all that much younger than Sophie.

After ceasing to be a part of the RAF, Prince William went to the Tusk Conservation Awards with his wife, Princess William (more commonly called Duchess Catherine or just Kate), their first evening away from Baby George. She wore this sparkly thing.


Now there is nothing wrong with this dress. It's pretty, and it probably cost more than my car, so that's fine. But I've always preferred day time Kate to red carpet Kate, and even of her red carpet appearances, this isn't my favourite. Show off how much baby weight you've lost, Kate!
Oh, and she wore those Jimmy Choo's. How I detest those Jimmy Choo's.

This week Prince William mentioned that fact that he owns an iPhone twice. Once to say that he listens to the sound of crickets on his iPhone to relax, and again when he asked to be excused for constantly checking his iPhone for updates on how Prince George was doing (He didn't say iPhone at the second instance, but we all know). I always assumed that the royals, at least the more modern ones, owned phones, but to the best of my knowledge they've never admitted to it. William mentioning it twice makes me wonder if it has been newly acquired and he can't help but show it off. ("Oh, yes, I just had a son, and someday he's going to be the ruler of sixteen nations, but did you hear? I bought an iPhone.")(That's not what Prince William sounds like)(I wouldn't know, I've never met Prince William)

Also, finally, Prince Harry turns 29 tomorrow, so tweet at him wishing him a happy birthday!
I wish Prince Harry had a Twitter.

In really big news this week, Warner Brothers has announced a movie adaptation of the Harry Potter spin-off 'Fantastic Beasts &Where To Find Them'. J. K. Rowling is going to make her screen-writing debut with this movie, and Harry Potter fans are going to line up for tickets weeks in advance because it's been SO long since anything new has come out and they're beginning to suffer from withdrawal symptoms.


I've read the book. I bought it at the height of my Harry Potter obsession, and read it from cover to cover. And I can list at least three flaws in this endeavour to make it a movie.

1. Fantastic Beasts has no story. I saw the One Direction movie this week with my friends, and that had no story either. It was just a glorified advertisement for the band and their concerts. And even though I do like One Direction themselves (No judging!), I wouldn't advise people to watch the movie. The opposite, in fact. And that's what is going to happen with Fantastic Beasts. It's going to make money by playing on people's fancies, and then just not be very good.

2. The best part about Fantastic Beasts is Harry and Ron's little notes in the corner of every page (including 'Glumbumble' and a picture of a troll captioned 'My name is Gregory Goyle and I smell'). And Dan and Rupert aren't coming back for this, so I don't know how they're going to do that. Even if they did come back, I don't know how they would have done that.

3. Harry Potter fans will be disappointed if it doesn't live up to their expectations. I know I will. The books got progressively better, and so did the movies, but there is no way that this will trump Deathly Hallows : Part 2. And I've already been disappointed enough (I'm looking at you, Casual Vacancy).

I think I'll just watch it when it comes on TV.

UPDATE : As I'm typing this, my Twitter feed is filling up with news about Princes William and Harry and thirty year old Pippa Middleton at some society wedding, but I can't find any pictures yet, so I'll cover it next week.

N

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. I just wanted to know where to ship it since I know now to keep producing it

    Harry Potter Phone Covers

    ReplyDelete