Thursday, December 31, 2015

Six Word Year

I hate six word stories. The whole concept annoys me, because stories that only have six words are usually not very good stories. They only exist for the benefit of those people who are too lazy to read a short story in its entirety, and, to be honest, these people don't really want to read stories at all. This year, for some reason, I stumbled across six word stories more often than I'd have liked, and so, despite the fact that I don't like them, it seems fitting that they are a part of a blog post that is representative of the year gone by.

If I had to write something about my 2015 in six words, it would be this: Princess Charlotte, Downton Abbey, Joe Jonas. 

The first one is pretty self-explanatory. Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Diana of Cambridge, the happiest baby in the whole world and my favourite little girl, was born this May. I remember the day that Charlotte was born - I had a holiday, so unlike when George was born, I was able to spend the whole day glued to my computer, refreshing Twitter for updates. Mercifully, the announcement of her birth came pretty much right away, so I didn't have to stay awake until 3am like I did for George. I live-blogged the whole thing.

I didn't like Charlotte so much in the beginning. She was the second child, and rather boring compared to George, who was perpetually making grumpy faces and being upset about things. But I grew to love her just as much as I love George, and now I wish her nothing but happiness for the rest of her life. It's going to be hard for her when she grows up - everyone's always going to want to see what she's wearing, and where she's going, and who she's dating, and she's never going to be able to put a foot wrong without attracting all sorts of criticisms.

She's got a few good years ahead of her, though, in which she can just be a baby and not worry about anything. I hope that 2016 is a really good year for Charlotte, and for George.

Isn't she the sweetest little thing?
The second one, Downton Abbey, has sort of been my companion for these past twelve months. I started watching the first season of Downton in January, and carried on with the show for the rest of the year, until Christmas, when I had to cry my way through the series finale. I had planned to write a review about the final season, and voice my opinions about Mary's new husband, and Edith's new husband, neither of whom I particularly liked when they were first introduced (I've come around on them both). But once I saw the finale, I was just so overcome with emotion and feelings of goodwill towards every single character that I couldn't write a bad word about any of them. So I scrapped the review, because I was worried that it would only be me gushing.

Actually, I might write it sometime next year, when I'm a little less sentimental. Maybe so that it coincides with the show's American airing.

I loved Downton Abbey. It was a brilliant, brilliant show, and I'm very sorry that it ended. The story lines were great, the historical accuracy was amazing, and the actors were magnificent. But the thing that struck me the most right at the very end was how much the characters had changed over the course of six seasons. And no one more so then Mary. Because I had watched six years worth of episodes in a little over six months, I remembered very clearly what Mary was like when she found out that Patrick was dead and that Matthew was the new heir. And when I saw her in the Christmas Special, she was a completely different Mary to the one from 1912.

And I loved it. There she was, married to a second hand car salesman with no money, and no prospects, attending the wedding of her younger sister to the Marquess of Hexham. She didn't care about titles, and advantageous relationships, or anything of that sort. And she was happy. Which is the most important thing of all.

The third one is perhaps the hardest to explain, and I wonder whether I should even be talking about it on my blog. But I don't care, and it's not like anyone reads my blog, so it doesn't really matter.

When I started college this June, I was not in the best place, mentally. I was unhappy, for a lot of reasons, and even though I wasn't actually suffering from depression, I couldn't have gone on like that forever. The only thing that made me happy at that point was the Royal Family, but they were too far away, and whatever pictures and postcards and thank you letters came from them were few and far in between. I loved them, yes, but I only saw them maybe once in six weeks, which was frustrating.

Which is where Joe Jonas came in. Obviously, I'm not talking about the real Joe Jonas here - the person in question is a someone of my age who I go to college with, whose name I cannot reveal for obvious reasons, and who I will continue to call Joe Jonas until he latches on to the fact that that is my name for him. When college started, I would occasionally see Joe, in class or in the canteen, and, for some strange, inexplicable reason, it made me happy.

I don't understand it. I've tried and failed, on numerous occasions, to explain to a friend (or a friend acting as a therapist, as my friends often are) the reason why I get so excited when I see Joe. There's nothing remarkable about him. He's quite ordinary - boring, even. And I don't love him. I've never even spoken to him - he means nothing to me, But when I see him, I feel happy. It makes me happy to just know that he's going on with his uneventful life as normal, and it also confuses the life out of me, but that's how it is. That's why this paragraph is so rambling. I don't understand it, but I'm trying my best to explain it anyway, and I'm botching it up because I'm a rubbish writer.

Right now, I'm happy. And, among other things, I have Joe Jonas to thank for that. By doing nothing, by simply existing, he managed to make me happy every day, and I am eternally grateful to him.

So, that was my year. Much like Lady Mary, I'm nowhere near what I thought I'd be like at this point in my life, but I'm happier than I've ever been, so it doesn't really matter. Admittedly, I've been rather under productive this year, as you can make out from the fact that I wrote all of one blog post in November, a month in which I'd planned to write loads, but I plan to roll up my sleeves and really get cracking from tomorrow. I've just discovered Bullet Journaling, which I intend to diligently keep up for at least a month and a half, so that should increase my productivity a little bit.

I was recently appointed Desk Editor for Royal Central, so that is another thing that I need to focus on in 2016. Also, I will try and be a bit more regular on this blog. I'll still write about nonsense, though - that can't be helped.

I'm excited for the new year. William and Kate are going on tour again, and, as if that wasn't good enough news in itself, they're coming to my country, which means that I might finally be able to fulfill my lifelong (well, since 2011, anyway) dream of meeting the Duchess of Cambridge. Of course, many things could happen between now and the time that they actually come here - they could decide not to visit my city; they could decide not to undertake any public engagements; they could just call off the visit altogether - so I don't really want to get my hopes up. I'll write more about that once the Palace releases the official schedule, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

It's going to be a good year. I think. I hope.

We'll find out soon enough.

Have a lovely new year.

N

No comments:

Post a Comment